Cardio Update :: Our Boy is Growing Up!!

We went yesterday for Derrick's standard 3 month cardiologist visit. As usual, we prepped him right before bedtime with what was going to happen: they'll check your numbers, squeeze your tummy, give your arm a hug (blood pressure), put jelly on your chest so they can look at your heart on tv, etc. He was all for it and ready. But we may not have been.

Derrick jumped on the scale and tipped it at a whopping 23 lbs (he was 22.6 in February, so we'll take that as a win). The nurse asked him to sit on the table so she could check his sats and blood pressure, and to our surprise, he got right on the table and sat there all by himself. Justin, JK and I sat in the chairs across from him as he sat there all by himself and let the nurse do her thing. He did exactly what she asked him to do and didn't move a bit.

It was at this point that we both fought back a little tear for lots of little reasons: 1) we have now been coming to see Dr. S, a cardiologist, for over THREE years, 2) our little boy is now big enough to let the nurse check him out all by himself, without being on our lap or crying and 3) that our little 3 year old has been through this routine so many times that it doesn't bother him a bit. It's part of his life and he's not scared of it. He looks at it as a way to earn the privilege of choosing where to go for lunch, ordering dessert, and most importantly, a way to earn a ring pop! It's kind of bittersweet.

When Dr. S came in and checked him out he said everything looked great and that he wanted to do an EKG this time. I must have given him a "look" because he quickly followed that up with, "Unless you just want to do an echo. If you want to do one, we can." Ha! Derrick hasn't had an echo in 9 months and we sure weren't waiting any longer! I'm not ok with that. That 'complex little heart' has way too much to hide to go that long without getting a good look over, so to the echo room we went.

I, being the overly-paranoid-reads-into-everything-mom that I am, had a little panic for a second. After the nurse had listened to D's heart she flipped back through his chart and said, "Oh, that's what I heard." I didn't bother to ask about it because I figured she was talking about the extra beat he has sometimes. After the echo, the tech said, "All finished. He's having an EKG, right?" That made me panic a little. It's crazy, I know, but I feel like I'm always waiting for something to go wrong. I like that we go to the cardiologist every three months and it would drive me crazy to wait longer, but every time we go I'm so afraid they're going to find something new.

Dr. S came in and said his echo looked great and that he'd see us in 3 months! I asked him if there was anything new going on with D's rhythm and he said that it was still doing exactly what it has been since after that first cath, so there was nothing to worry about. Predictable, steady, crazy rhythm = good.  Our homework:  push the calories.

Whew! Another 3 months of freedom. Yes!

(Derrick did reluctantly share the ring pop...sort of.  And I know it's gross that they're on the floor at a doctor's office, but seriously, there's only so much wrangling we can do! :)  Trust me, we're always armed with instant hand sanitizer!!)

Off we went with a ring pop-stained boy to Chick-fil-a for a "burger" ?? followed by a cookie sundae. Sounds like a recipe for weight gain for us, we'll see about the little guy! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment